Cool Red Outer Glow Pointer
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

165th Post...

Okay, since this is only my 165th post on Blogger, I'm just gonna recall what happened at school today, kay?

Ummm, let me see...
I lost twice to Ashman in Chess during Pendidikan Jasmani.
Apparently, his understanding of positional play is much better than mine.
In the first game, at the point when I was losing, Hazwan suggested I used the "psychological effect" on Ashman.
And it worked! Kind of... [ smiles ]

In my second game with Ashman, I reverted back to my old tactical style of play.
I managed to come up with a deeply-calculated combination involving a central Knight fork, which against a weaker player would have resulted in the loss of a whole piece.
But Ashman, being the seasoned player that he is, applied "Zwischenzug" to great effect, avoiding the loss of his Bishop.
But after a series of exchanges, my combination successfully saddled Ashman with an isolated pawn on the d file.

By right, I should have won this game.
I had a Queenside pawn majority and he had an isolated pawn on the d file.
But then, I made a mistake that cost me the whole game.

When Ashman's Rook flew down the board to check my King, I made the decision to advance my King towards the enemy Kingside pawn structure. This was the fatal mistake that I made.
I was still thinking based on my old tactical style. Therefore, I was aiming for a double threat - the capturing of his Kingside pawn chain and checkmate.
In the end, I lost because his Rook was destroying my Kingside pawn structure. Then, he forced an exchange of Rooks and successfully promoted one of his Kingside pawns.

I realised my mistake as soon as his Rook started wreaking havoc on my backrank.
I should always play positionally in the endgame, not tactically.
I should have just put my Rook behind my Queenside pawn majority and slowly march my pawns up the board.
My pawns' advance up the board would be very nearly unstoppable and inexorable.

Well, I learned from my mistake.
Next time, I won't let this kind of thing happen to me again...

Anyway, after Pendidikan Jasmani, we had Physics.
Nothing much happened during Physics class. The teacher just showed us what a vernier caliper looks like, that's all.
We would only be doing the experiment involving the vernier caliper in the next Physics class.

Immediately after that, there was Biology class.
The teacher taught us about "organelles" and their functions in a cell.
Then she asked us to draw a diagram of the insides of a cell.

Truth be told, I think I was the last person in the whole class to complete my diagram!
By the time I finished labelling the organelles inside the cell, the Biology class was already over!
Well, thank goodness the Biology teacher didn't ask us to pass up our diagrams, or else I'd be in a heap of trouble!

Here's the diagram, by the way.
PS: I only posted this picture to show Jannah how big of a "show-off" I can be! [ smiles ]

After that, we had Civics.
But apparently, our Civics teacher was busy, so we got a relief teacher instead.
So it was actually considered a free period because the relief teacher let us do whatever we wanted.
So, I managed to play a game of Chess with Sehran.
I used the English Opening, and he surprisingly used the "Fried Fox Defense"! ( Involving the moves 1. ...f6 2. ...Kf7?! )
He said he was "experimenting" with this opening!

He lost in the end.
I congregrated my pieces on the Queenside and unleashed a devastating attack that led to his King being clobbered and checkmated on the h file.

Well, yeah, I guess that's pretty much everything that's happened today.

May the Force be with you...

0 critical responses: